I am not one to venture outside my comfort zone when it comes to food. I’m more into the basics: meat, potato, and corn with a side of ketchup. Ask anyone. So when I casually mentioned we were having salmon for dinner, people froze. No literally, no one believed me. I’m not going to pretend that after cooking this meal I am by any means in love with salmon or wanting it every week for the rest of my life, hell, I don’t even want it once a month for the rest of my life, BUT I will say this recipe made salmon taste pretty darn good. Justin compared it to restaurant quality. Yeah, that’s right, I’m amazing.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1 cup instant brown rice
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
4 skinless center-cut salmon fillets (5 oz each)
3 small peppers (red, yellow, and orange)
1 medium onion
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
6 oz baby spinach (we skipped this step)
1. Prepare brown rice as box directs.
5. Drain fat from skillet. Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet on medium 1 minute. Add peppers, onion, 3 tbsp water, and 1/8 tsp salt.
6. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover; cook 3 to 5 minutes longer or until tender, stir occasionally.
7. Stir in basil and cook until wilted. Squeeze 1 tbsp lime juice into mixture.
8. In a large bowl, combine spinach and a pinch of salt. Cover with vented plastic wrap; microwave on 3 minutes or until wilted. (We skipped this step!)
9. Serve salmon, rice, and pepper mixture (with spinach if wanted).