Colder weather is ultimately upon us and when it struck last week all I wanted was liquid warmth in the form of Chicken Tortilla Soup. The simple preparation of this recipe plus the homemade tortilla strips made for the perfect combination.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the number of ingredients…it scared the pants off me too, but as you look closer you will see 90% of these ingredients are ready to just dump in the slow cooker, no preparation needed!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 8 hours on low, 4 hours on high
Makes 8 servings
1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin (I forgot this…whoops)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (I forgot this…whoops)
7 corn tortillas
What to Do:
1. Bake 2-3 chicken breasts for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Shred chicken.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400. Lightly brush both sides of corn tortillas with oil and cut into strips. Place on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Serve soup with tortilla strips.
MAKE IT EASIER/QUICKER:
– Use shredded canned chicken instead of baking and shredding chicken breasts
– Buy chopped onions and minced garlic
– Use store-bought chips instead of homemade tortilla strips
What do you make in these colder winter months to warm you up?