During our Christmas in Chicago weekend with the family, I only had to prepare breakfast both days since we ate out for lunch and dinner. Did I mention it was for 10 people? In addition to cinnamon rolls, toast, cereal, and muffins, I also wanted to serve an egg casserole. The recipe had to have minimal preparation, ingredients, and appeal to everyone. I found this All-In-One Breakfast Casserole recipe in the church cookbook I stole from my brother two years ago. I know, it doesn’t sound right to steal a church cookbook, but is a college student honestly ever going to pull out the pots and pans for anything besides spaghetti? I think not. I’m actually doing him a favor putting the cookbook to good use. Anyways, the casserole lived up to expectations, preparation – less than 15 minutes, ingredients – only 7 which were all totally normal and appealed to everyone. I will definitely be making this casserole the next time I need to feed a large number of people quickly. Maybe Christmas morning with the family?! What is your go-to breakfast casserole?
1 pkg hash browns
1 pound lean sausage
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cans Milnot (evaporated milk)
1. In a 9×12″ baking dish, place a layer of hash browns.
2. In a skillet, fry the lean sausage and drain the grease.
3. Crumble the sausage over the layer of hash browns.
4. Saute the chopped green pepper and onion (optional) and pour over the sausage.
5. Layer 2 cups of mozzarella cheese on top.
6. In a large bowl, whip the 10 eggs with the 1 1/2 cans Milnot. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour over the cheese layer.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. You can also prepare and refrigerate overnight.