As a lover of sweets, I desperately needed an upgrade from Betty Crocker’s bagged sugar cookie recipe so I went searching. Not only did I find a bomb.com sugar cookie recipe but also a buttercream frosting recipe (from here and here). These cookies are exactly what they claim to be, thick and soft. The best part is the recipe is perfect for birthdays, holidays, parties, and everything in between.
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
5 1/2 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar.
3. Add egg and vanilla.
4. Mix in the sour cream.
5. Combine salt, baking soda, and flour; add to the mixture.
6. Roll the dough onto a floured surface until 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.
7. Use seasonal cookie cutters to cut dough into shapes.
8. Place cookies onto a greased, parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes. The cookies will NOT look done (still pale in color with no golden edges) but do NOT leave them in any longer.
9. Let cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Make sure to allow cookies to cool completely before adding any frosting.
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4-1/3 cup milk
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Beat in sugar and vanilla until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.
3. Add food coloring and get creative!
Recipe Source: Peppermint Plum