The Saturday morning announcement that I would be whipping up a batch of homemade blueberry muffins was not welcomed with enthusiasm but instead a plea for the blueberry pancakes devoured a week before (here). Fortunately, opinions changed the moment the warm muffin hit lips and fresh blueberries exploded in our mouths with every bite.
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp finely grated zest from 1 lemon
3 T white sugar
3 T brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 T melted butter
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tsp sugar
1 T water
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/8 cup sugar
2 large eggs
4 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. If topping with lemon sugar – stir together sugar and lemon zest in small bowl and set aside. If topping with streusel, combine ingredients until it is the size of peas and set aside. **NOTE: Add your butter gradually. If the mixture is too soft, add more flour to achieve a nice crumbly topping**
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 cup of blueberries, water, and 1 tsp sugar to a simmer.
4. Mash the berries with a potato masher or fork several times; stir frequently until berries have broken down and the mixture is thickened (about 6 minutes). Transfer to a small bowl and let cool to room temperature 10-15 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs until thick.
8. Using a cookie scoop or large spoon, divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Spoon a teaspoon of cooked berry mixture into the center of each muffin batter. Using a knife, chopstick, or skewer, gently swirl the berry filling into the batter using figure-eight motions.
9. Sprinkle lemon sugar or streusel evenly over muffins. Bake about 17-19 minutes or until muffins are golden and just firm. Cool muffins 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool an additional 5 minutes before serving.
**Recipe Source: A Cook’s Quest**