Throughout college my go to recipe for a fancy dinner in with Justin was Chicken Broccoli and Rice, which consisted of dumping two bags of Cheddar Broccoli Rice packets, two slices of Kraft American cheese, a tablespoon of butter, and a can of shredded chicken into a large pot and letting it simmer for fifteen minutes. No wonder I gained the freshman fifteen. As much as it makes my skin crawl typing those ingredients, those dinners hold a special place in my heart and although extremely unhealthy were undeniably delicious. When I saw this Chicken Broccoli Noodle Casserole recipe from Skinnytaste, I knew it would give us the same amazing tasty flavor with way less prepackaged, processed fat and it absolutely did not disappoint. If you haven’t checked out Skinnytaste.com yet, you definitely should head over to try Gina’s personalized healthy recipes that are always delicious. I’ve already tried three of her recipes (seen here and here) and they were not only healthy and tasty without sacrificing any flavor but satisfied Justin as well. Check them out too if you are on Weight Watchers as she gives point values for servings and other nutritional information.
Prep Time 20-30 Minutes
Bake Time 20-25 Minutes
Makes 6 Servings
Nutritional Information from Skinny Taste:
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/6th • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 313 • Fat: 9.9 g • Protein: 27.2 g • Carb: 31.2 g • Fiber: 4.4 g
6 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Noodles
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
12 oz fresh broccoli florets, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 medium shallot, minced
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 cup milk
12 oz cooked shredded chicken breast
4 oz shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar
3 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9×12 casserole dish with cooking spray. Cook noodles in salted water until al dente; set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and cook garlic about 1 minute until golden. Add the broccoli and a pinch of salt, cover and saute for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add the minced shallot and cook about 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the flour and a pinch of salt; stir well and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add milk and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat for approximately 6-7 minutes stirring occasionally until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add cheddar and 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese; mix well until cheese melts.
5. Add the shredded chicken, noodles, and broccoli to the sauce and mix well. Pour into a casserole dish and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a light layer of cooking spray on top and bake 20-25 minutes.
**Recipe Source: Skinny Taste**