October means so many things … including Halloween.
When I was young, Halloween meant trick-or-treating and the almighty school costume parade. As I’ve gotten older, it has transitioned to Halloween parties and a fun night out with friends.
With Halloween parties galore, it’s important to have a standby, go-to recipe for all Halloween occasions:
[Halloween] Soft Sugar Cookies
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
- Pillsbury Frosting Halloween Funfetti Frosting with Halloween sprinkles (15.6 oz)
- Candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture until dough comes together.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls and roll the balls in sugar.
- Place them on an unprepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottom is light brown.
- Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
- Once cool, decorate with frosting, sprinkles and candy corn.
Original cookie recipe from allrecipes.com