Portillo’s definitely lands in my top 5 for iconic Chicago food. While most patrons love their beef sandwiches, the Chopped Salad has my heart.
The recipe itself aside from the initial chopping, dicing and mincing is beyond easy! Whether you’re looking to pack lunches for the week or impress at a dinner party, this recipe will totally rock it:
DIY Portillo’s Chopped Salad
- 1 head of lettuce (or 2 bags of pre-shredded lettuce)
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 cups ditalini pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Vinaigrette dressing, bottled or homemade
- Ensure all ingredients are chopped, minced, sliced, etc.
- Put lettuce in a large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except dressing, and toss well.
- Serve dressing alongside the salad or pour on and combine just before serving.
**Recipe Source: Stolen Moments**