Some girlfriends and I recently started a Book Club. It’s the perfect excuse to read a new book (which I love to do) and catch up with some of my favorite girls each month. I hosted our inaugural book club and was responsible for the main course of dinner. I wanted something healthy, but filling and I think I hit the nail on the head. This recipe is also totally transitional to a side. Not to mention, the leftovers were delicious!
Southwest Quinoa Salad
Original Recipe: My Kitchen Addiction
- 1 1/2 hearts of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 15-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15-oz can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips (Lightly Salted) for salad topping
- 15-oz jar Marzetti Light Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Cook quinoa based on package instructions.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, bell pepper, avocado, and onion.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, add it to the bean and vegetable mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined.
- Place chopped romaine in serving dish. Mix in quinoa, bean and vegetable mixture and top with tortilla strips.
- Serve with Chipotle Ranch dressing on the side.
I doubled the recipe for Book Club.