For as long as I can remember, I’ve switched between drugstore beauty bargains choosing mainly whatever I found on sale that week or a magazine promoted in their “Steals & Deals” article. Yes, I understand this means I’m not always using the best product for my skin, but I just couldn’t fathom spending hard-earned money on something that was going to need replaced again next month. Plus, the overwhelming intimidation I felt walking through the numerous aisles trying to decide not only between brands but also between which product type, included ingredients, skin tone/type, benefits received, and colors/shades was enough to make me grab the foundation/powder/lipstain/moisturizer that was on sale and run as fast as I could to the nearest check-out (unless it was Target, then I’d be there another 45 minutes perusing every single department). Then two days before our big adventure around the world, a light-bulb went off inside my head and I realized I was turning twenty-seven (ugh), needed a quality product for my problematic skin since I was no longer on dermatological prescriptions (yikes!), and needed something small, compact, and multipurpose to minimize space. It was a lot to ask. The answer: Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream with SPF 35.
- I always wanted to try the raved about Smashbox Primer, but couldn’t afford to pay so much for so little and this BB cream included a primer so it was like getting a foundation and a primer in one bottle for the same price
- BB Creams were all the talk in recent months (I know people have now moved on to CC Creams and I’m a little behind)
- First time ever paying over $15 for a beauty product, it had to work. Right?
The Product Claims:
- Always be camera ready with this 5-in-1 BB Cream!
- Prime, perfect, protect, hydrate, and control oil in one step to create a flawless face in a flash
- Wear alone or under foundation for more coverage
- Contains SPF 35
- Come in 5 Shades: Fair, Light, Light/Medium, Medium, Dark
- Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (UV filter/absorber), Octisalate (UVB absorber), Oxybenzone (sunscreen), and Titanium Dioxide (colorant, UV absorber)
- Costs: $39 for 1 fl oz/30 ml
- Where to Purchase: Smashbox, Sephora, Ulta
How I Apply It:
- Apply a moisturizer with additional SPF (this one)
- Squeeze a pea size amount on the back of my hand
- Apply using a foundation brush (here, here)
- Set with finishing powder (this one)
- Biggest deal (for me): does NOT break out my super problematic skin (think: a sixteen year old in puberty..awesome, right?)
- Stays on ALL day. I can’t even tell you how much this matters especially for someone with problematic skin (me) to not have to worry about coverage all day.
- Contains SPF 35 (huge deal especially as I notice all my wrinkles more and more)
- Goes on light and smooth, could easily build to a more full coverage
- Skin looks smoother and more evenly toned in photos = confidence boost
- Provides a light, full coverage over my normal skin and it’s usual adjoining bumps, but have to use an additional concealer for more prominent red pimples (gross, I know) which negates the time-saving and 5-in-1 promise
- Would definitely use an additional moisturizer containing SPF benefits especially for dry skin
- The limited color options are a bit disappointing as other BB creams come in numerous shades – a little nervous if it will still look good when I lose my Aussie tan
- Pricing is pretty high for the amount of product received
What has been your experience with BB Creams and/or Smashbox products? Have you ever tried this product or another one that you have loved or hated?Disclaimer: I did not receive any products or compensation for this post, all thoughts and reviews are my own.