A few weeks ago I posted my go-to recipe for shrimp. Clearly I was feeling kitchen savvy that night because I also tackled a new amazing side dish. Served as a side with my shrimp, I ate the skillet leftovers as my main course for a few nights. This versatile dish is extremely flavorful, filling, colorful and vegetarian-friendly!
Zucchini Black Bean + Rice Skillet
Original Recipe: ReadySetEat
- 1 tablespoon Pure Wesson® Canola Oil
- 1-1/2 cups quartered lengthwise, sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 can (15 oz each) Rosarita® Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt’s® Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant white rice (I used brown rice here)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add rice; stir well.
- Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with cheese.