Hey! It’s me, Cece from years ago. I’m filling in while Kate and Megan are enjoying each other’s company in Turkey and Greece. I’m jealous, lets just stop at that.
Anyways, I’m always up for trying new recipes and have recently had a mild – okay major – obsession with Gina at skinnytaste.com. She comes up with recipes that are healthy yet delicious.
I’ve always wanted to step out of my comfort zone and try a dish with Zucchini. So when I saw this recipe, I gave it whirl, hoping the husband would give ’em a whirl too (he’s not a huge fan of Zucchini). They were amazing! And even heated up for lunch well. Enjoy!
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Original recipe: skinnytaste.com
- 1 1/4 cups quick marinara sauce
- 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing (Al Fresco)
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella (Polly-O)
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick.
- Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12″ baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside.
- Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.