As promised… the greek salad recipe that accompanied last week’s amazing greek chicken. This recipe is easy, healthy and incredibly fresh! My roommate Lin and I ate the salad on a bed of lettuce to make it more salad-esque. The choice is up to you!
Original recipe: myrecipes.com
- 2 cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, chopped, then rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped parsley
- 1 1/3 cups drained pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound feta cheese
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, and olives.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano.
- Break feta cheese into about 1/2-inch chunks and add to cucumber mixture. Add dressing and mix gently, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Notes: You can prepare through step 2 up to 4 hours ahead; cover and chill vegetables and dressing separately. Just before serving, pour cucumber mixture into a colander to drain off any liquid, then return to bowl and mix with feta cheese and dressing.