Congratulations! You officially made it through the 2012 festive feasting season. Studies show that the average American gains 1-2 pounds during the holiday season. And, those extra pounds tend to become permanent baggage. Yikes! Whether or not healthy eating, working out or weight loss was in your 2013 resolution, it’s time to get back on the horse.
Personally, one of the hardest parts of this time of year is going from constantly stuffing my face back to normal eating habits. I’m always hungry. My recommendation? Healthy snacks to help you through the day. Here’s one easy recipe idea, as well as 10 other snack ideas:
No Bake Energy Bites
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once chilled, roll into balls. Mine were about 1″ in diameter.
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes 18 bites. Serving size is 1 bite, approximately 148 calories.
- Replace peanut butter with any nut butter (almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.)
- Replace chocolate chips with chopped dried fruit, dried berries, chopped almonds, pecans or sunflower seeds or any other chips (butterscotch, dark chocolate, etc)
- Do not replace the honey – it holds everything together!
Other healthy snacking ideas, listed as per serving:
- Cherry tomatoes (9)
- Cucumber slices (1/4 whole cucumber) + hummus (1/4 cup)
- Tiny twist pretzels (18)
- Baby carrots (3/4 to 1 cup)
- Banana (1) .. alone or add peanut butter (2 Tbsp)
- Quaker white cheddar rice cakes (2)
- Apple (1) .. alone or add peanut butter (2 Tbsp)
- Chobani greek yogurt (1 cup)
- Edamame (1/2 cup)
- Sugar free hot chocolate (1 packet) — perfect this time of year!!