This week I decided I needed a recipe that would be delicious, quick and easy to make AND that I could eat for lunch or dinner throughout the rest of the week. Lots of requirements! I was totally feeling a soup — warm and cozy with the chilly winter temps (although Mother Nature has been kind to Chicago so far this year!) and I hit the nail on the head! Delicious is an understatement. I had to make a couple of adjustments to the original recipe because I mis-calculated the seasonings that I owned, oops!
Tomato Tortellini Soup
Original recipe: Taste of Home
- 2 packages (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese for a topping, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes, seasonings, and cheese on in a large pot on low heat.
- Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese, if desired.