My Dad turned 60 on January 31 … milestone. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDIO!! We celebrated in mid-January with a Swingin’ 60s birthday celebration. Costumes required. Check out our awesome (and slightly crazy) family photo:
In addition to the traditional cupcakes, it seemed perfect to coordinate a dessert with the colorful tie-die theme. The result?
Funfetti Whoopie Pies
Original Recipe: Yammie’s Noshery
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon imitation butter flavor
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2/3 all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup colored sprinkles
- More sprinkles for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Beat the butter and sugar on high-speed for about 5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, butter flavor, and egg. Beat until well combined.
- Sift in the flours, soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the sprinkles.
- Chill the dough. If you’re in a hurry, throw in the freezer. I put it in a gallon Ziploc bag and pounded it down flat so it would get cold faster.
- Take a small piece of the dough, dip in the sprinkles and roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until the sheet is filled.
- Bake about 7 minutes. Keep the remaining dough in the freezer while the other are baking. They will flatten out as the bake and puff up a little when they’re done.
- Sandwich cooled cookies together with filling if desired (recipe below).
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks cold butter, chopped into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Beat the cream and vanilla until slightly thickened.
- Beat in the powdered sugar until thick and smooth.
- Beat in about one-fourth of the cold butter cubes at a time on high-speed.
- Beat for about 10 minutes on high-speed in your stand mixer until smooth. Don’t be afraid if it looks weird at first. Just keep beating!
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Use to fill cooled cookies.
**Filling is optional; you can also use purchased frosting to sandwich the cookies.
GROOVY BIRTHDAY TREATS!